Thursday 16 February 2012

Football referees, we do not do it to make friends

Every weekend up and down the country thousands of football matches are played, but just a fraction of these are played with a fully qualified official.

Official, referee; you may know them better as 'the bastard in the black,' or yellow, red, blue, or white across Europe these days. 

I'm one of those, one of those mad breeds that give up their Saturday afternoons, Sunday mornings and afternoons, and my Tuesday evenings as well.

Personally I settle for 'bastard in the black' because I've been called much worse.

The reason I write this blog is for something I heard in the past.

''Referee, is taking all the abuse not part of what you get paid for?' (Yes that was a serious question!)

This was asked by a man who must have been in his 60s, probably watching his grandchild play. I was shocked by this comment, and just gave a small smile in reply.

It made me wonder why I bother.

So why do I?

I guess its through my love and passion for the game that keeps me going.  (And knowing I'm going home with the players money, something I don't think they've all worked out yet.)

Also the fact of knowing that they will still be criticizing me in the pub that evening, but ill be too drunk on beer  (vodka and orange) actually, to give them a thought. (Obviously paid for with their money.)

Yes, I promise it is my love of the game that keeps be going.

On a more serious note, the reason I carry on going is the respect that 99 percent of players and spectators do give you, and games when it is hand-shakes all round, despite ending the game 10 v 10.

It is just a shame there's still a minority who continue to verbally and physically abuse referees.

I still remember my first game, I was like a rabbit in headlights. A lot of criticism, and it got me down. But 4 seasons, 300 games and 1 promotion later, I block it out, and worry about my performance not the players.

I just keep reminding myself I don't do it to make friends, and that I'm never wrong, I just saw it differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment